Things to do in Ethiopia
Explore the medieval rock-hewn churches of Lalibela
Meet the tribal people of Omo Valley
Visit spectacular Danakil Depression
Hike the jagged landscapes of Simien Mountains
Discover the ancient city of kings in Gondar
Go wild and feed hyenas in walled city of Harar
Endulge in smells of tea & coffee plantations of Gambela region
Meet Lucy, the grandmother of humanity
Famous of Ethiopia
Five world famous things foreigners do not know about Ethiopia:
- The word coffee as well as the drink itself comes from Abyssinian (Ethiopian) region of Kaffa.
- Ethiopian are mostly Orthodox christians. Their country was the second in the world to adopt christianity as the state religion (after Armenia) even before the Roman Empire.
- Ethiopian believe the Arc of Covenant resides in their country. It was brought there by the Queen of Sheba from Jerusalem - as a gift from biblical king Solomon.
- Ethiopia is the only African country having never been colonialised. Even though Italians occupied it for a couple of years in the 30/40s it has never been conquered.
- Rastafarian worshippers whom Bob Marley was the most famous representative built their name and religion around Ethiopia. In fact the name Rastafari comes from Ras Tafari which was the true name of Haile Selassie, the last emperor of Ethiopia.
For comprehensive choice of pictures of Ethiopia's different cultures and wonders click to see Skibinska Photography website.
Ethiopia is full of extraordinary landscapes as well as historical sights. In fact it's the country in Africa with the biggest number of places inscribed to UNESCO world heritage list: